Saturday, May 17, 2008

Week 11 of 29: Aloha, Hawaii (The Arrival)

Monday, April 21
I’ve got five parish interim ministry options on the table. I feel good about these. I’m contemplating what it would be like to start a ministry "of my own" in the Memphis area, especially one that honored the history that has gone on there before. Victor was off from work today, and took me around to many areas … We went downtown, passing by City Hall, then over to the Cathedral of Our Lady of the Angels, a modern wonder of a worship space. Up toward the Dorothy Chandler Pavilion and the Walt Disney Concert Hall. Then around to the Watercourt at California Plaza, down by the Angels Flight Railway, and to the Grand Central Market for a lunch of gigantic chicken burritos. From there we catch the subway over to Hollywood and Vine, and see the Walk of Fame, the Chinese Theatre, and the McDonald/Wright Building of the L.A. Gay & Lesbian Center. We make it back to the house late in the afternoon. I am trying to set up an interview before I leave town.

Tuesday, April 22
Victor went to work, so Wayne and I are out and about today. We go to Earth Day on Wilshire Boulevard, and then he takes me over to LACMA, the LA County Museum of Art. Again, another spectacular place to view art, and their collection is modern and forward-looking, or at least the parts of it I saw. I get back to the house before Victor comes home from work and I pack and am ready to go. He takes me over to Linda and Barry's in Santa Monica. I have dinner with Barry, and turn in. I can remember back when the room over the garage was just beginning to be added on, and now that’s where I will be based for the next two nights. It’s very spacious, and with artifacts from ancient cultures along the Pacific Rim.

Wednesday, April 23
Linda and Barry’s cleaners come. I am at home just about all day, online, trying to put some things in order before I leave the mainland. I have an interview tomorrow morning for a position. In the evening, I have dinner with someone I worked with remotely years ago on a project, but never met face-to-face. We ate at the Lighthouse, a sushi buffet in Santa Monica that had some tasty options. It feels strange to be leaving for remote parts of Hawaii, when all the interim opportunities are heating up so quickly.

Thursday, April 24
As I am prepping for one interview today, I get calls from two other places that are interested in talking with me about a position, and one of them is a non-parish opportunity. I’m feeling quite flush. The interview goes well. Then it’s back to Barry and Linda’s to finish packing and make the dash to the airport. I never figure out where the FlyAway shuttle that Linda recommended is. Barry drops me off in the vicinity at the end of his lunch-time at home. I end up at the Santa Monica Youth Hostel, and it has a shuttle service to the airport. I am on the phone when the driver comes around the first time, and I don’t get that he’s my ride and he doesn’t get that I’m his fare. I go back in and ask the desk clerk to call again after he's pulled off. It's going to take at least 45 minutes for him to get back around. Over an hour later, I’m about to catch a cab on the street when he pulls into view. The traffic is horrendous, but after picking up another traveler from another hotel, we are on our way there. We make good time, and I am able to get on my Hawaiian Airlines flight with no problem. It is very warm and breezy in Honolulu at 10:00 p.m. or so. My cousin Fred takes me back to his place. I can’t believe I’m here.

Friday, April 25
Fred makes a full breakfast, then we hit the ground running. We take the bus downtown. He shows me the modern State Capitol Building, and the 'Iolani Palace where Queen Liliuokalani was held under house arrest. I bow at the feet of her statute. When I see that someone has left a lei at her feet, I wish I had brought the beautiful fresh orchid one Fred place around my neck last night, but it is in the refrigerator. On the palace grounds, under a gigantic tree, we stumble upon a mid-day concert of the Royal Hawaiian Band, established early in the 19th century. It’s a fine experience, emceed by (the current? a former?) Miss Hawaii, and with a beautiful hula dancer named Pi’ilani. From there to the tower at the port, and down through shopping districts and hotels. I bought a copy of What Is This Thing Called Aloha at one of the stores. I love it. It gets into the spirit of what I wanted to study here. We have a big lunch at Ruby Tuesdays, and go down through Waikiki listening to musicians play and watching dancers dance at sundown. It’s really idyllic. We take pictures at the statue of Duke Kahanamoku, the legendary surfer. Then we take the bus back home. I turn in and get up early to make it to the airport.




Saturday, April 26
The driver of the cab and I have a good talk on the way to the airport next morning. A man of Hawaiian ancestry, he’s looking at moving to Reno, a city where he will be able to afford to buy a house. Landing at Kona seems a bit like landing on another planet. I left behind the metropolis of Honolulu, and touchdown in the middle of a black, dry lava field that stretches far and wide as the eye can see. I get my luggage with no problem, and I drive from Kona up to Hawi. Beth’s directions are impeccable. I meet her at her office. We go to lunch across the street from the real estate office she works out of. Then we go by the house and chill out for a minute. She goes back to work, and I take a nap. In the early evening, we go to an auction (live and silent) for a very small local hospital. In addition to getting some great deals on gifts, I also bid successfully on three nights at guest houses: one night at $50 at one place, and the other at $25 per night for two nights. I couldn't have planned it better if I tried! From the auction, we go directly to the Sweet Honey Concert in Waimea. Fantastic. We go to greet Ysaye backstage afterwards. I’m delighted to be sharing this evening with Tragom and Beth.

Sunday, April 27
I am hanging out with Beth and Tragom for breakfast of lox, capers, cream cheese, bagels and egg. I have a preliminary interview with a member of a Search Committee in the Northeast. Beth and I are going to join Tragom later for a visit to the ManKind Project, a weekend experience for men that he’s been a part of for some time. Before we get there, though, Beth and I stop off at the pasture in the farm area in the hills where her horse is kept. I get to see and experience the beauty of “natural horsemanship” something Beth and her friend Chris and Chris’s beautiful children have been practicing for some time now. For example, rather than leading the horse to be ridden, the would-be riders go ahead, and let the horses follow them. And the horse(wo)men spend time building relationship, rather than just jumping on the horse and riding. It was great. The graduation at the ManKind Project was good to see as well. I’m glad so many men are finding ways to connect with themselves and with each other.

No comments: