Tuesday, July 22, 2008

Week 23 of 26: Out in the Sticks, and Deeply Grateful

Monday morning (July 14) began with yoga. Tim, who I understand is the longest-term resident here at Easton Mountain, led it every morning this week. My first experience of yoga goes back to PBS in the 70s, when I was a child, watching Lilias, Yoga & You, but I haven't had any kind of regular practice since then. Maybe this is an opportunity to bring this aspect of self-care and mindfulness back into my life as I begin my service at a new congregation. I don't enjoy all of the positions -- somehow I dread downward dog -- but at the end of it, when I've made it through the full hour, I feel awake and alive.

Also Monday, my work in support of the upcoming programs began in earnest. I agreed to take on the laundry room, and see to it that the towels and sheets were cleaned, sorted, folded and ready to go as needed onto the beds, outside the sauna and by the hot-tub. It took the better part of two days to get it handled, but with the help of others working on it, we managed it. I couldn't help thinking of a show that I saw and loved at the Boston Center for the Arts, and that was Caroline, or Change, an extremely moving musical by Tony Kuschner. Jacqui Parker, who I know from my days with the Boston African American Theatre Festival, was great in the title role. Caroline felt oppressed and stifled by her laundry work, and I didn't at all last week -- it was of my choosing, which I think made much of the difference. And, unlike Caroline, I'm not trying to raise two children on a meager income, I have health insurance and access to good medical care, I live and grew up in the United States in the post-legalized segregation era ... and I thank the generations of women, in my own family and beyond, who did such work because they had limited employment options. They secured a future for me and so many others, such that we can choose from a wide range of possibilities, including laundry work as meditation and an expression of solidarity, rather than an economic necessity.

Wednesday, Dexter* arrived for a few days from metro New York. In addition to being someone involved in the creation and leading of worship, he also is a composer and lyricist. I had a chance to hear some of the pieces that he's been working on that may one day end up as show-tunes on Broadway. He encouraged me to go forward with a project I'd been rolling around in my head for some time, and that was to write lyrics for a musical based on the novel that continually moves and inspires me: Zora Neale Hurston's Their Eyes Were Watching God. Friday, when I wasn't loading and unloading the washers and dryers, I was trying to tease out rhymes and tunes, with mixed degrees of success ... still, I had three rough drafts of songs/scenes worked out by noon Saturday, and I'm glad for that.

My work shifted later in the week to the care of the lower level of the lodge, which is the main house on the grounds. Before I began, some of the other volunteers and members of the EM residential community had gone through and cleaned it after the departure of the guest from the previous week, and I can feel the difference. It's fresh, renewed ... similar to the experience I would have after we did 'spiritual housekeeping' at First Parish in Arlington. My goal is to have that experience of freshness be sustained through my attention to how the place looks, and to its sense of order and purposefulness.

There were two groups of a dozen or so men each who came: one that started Wednesday, focused on healing the spirit, and the other starting Friday, for men who do various forms of bodywork (massage, reiki, yoga, etc.). There was good energy among them, and at the same time I found myself verging on speechlessness at some points at the subtle and overt racialized language white men directed at me and the few other 'men of color' on the grounds, and even the attacking language that one man of color can use on another. For certain, I'll leave paying even more attention to my own speech, and the power I have to affirm or undermine other people's experience of wholeness and inclusion simply by the words I allow out of my mouth.

And, when I perceive such sleights, it becomes another opportunity to practice forgiveness and cultivate my sense of humor. Every situation, as far as I can tell, holds the possibility of being workable and/or transformative.

Saturday, I went for a walk in the garden, where a good amount of the produce that ends up on our plates here is grown. It seems to be guarded by a few very vigilant and aggressive flies and bees, so it's a little bit like going through a gauntlet to get there. It is lovely, however -- quite varied with both flowers and food-bearing plants, and laid out in a labyrinthine way that includes some of the meadow's original growth. And there, at different points throughout, were wooden placards with handwritten quotes on them. The first one I saw and drew me in enough that I went back to write it down was this one from Goethe: "What is the hardest thing of all? What seems the easiest to you: to use your eyes to see what lies in front of them."

Both Saturday and early Monday, I felt a profound sense of gratitude for my eyes, my lifelong friends, so often taken for granted, and even abused through overuse or strain. And yet they have always been there, making the life I know and love possible. I can see ... I can see. Every morning I open my eyes, and the miracle begins again, whether acknowledged for what it is or not. Glory -- glory in the highest.

By yesterday morning, most of the men from the previous week's programs were gone, and the young adults for Queer Spirit Camp had begun to arrive. And I started to pack for my move from my room (with private bath) in the guest house, to one of the woodland cabins -- which is pretty close to Thoreau's abode on Walden Pond, including not having electricity.

* a pseudonym

No comments: