Monday, July 28, 2008

Week 24 of 26 (addendum): Praying for Unitarian Universalists and Their Neighbors and Friends in Knoxville

Dear Friends:

I was alarmed to hear that there was another church shooting in our country yesterday, and then my jaw dropped to find out that it was the Tennessee Valley Unitarian Universalist Church in Knoxville that had been attacked. My reaction was equal to what people say in some neighborhoods when a crime occurs: How could this happen in our denomination? I asked myself. And now the reality sets in, that UUs are no less vulnerable to hate crimes, or being drawn into a sick person's externalized psychodrama than any other faith tradition. Just because we see ourselves as nonthreatening doesn't mean that others hold the same view.

The details are still unfolding, and I am watching our denominational website, www.uua.org, to keep posted myself. We can be thankful for the heroes and heroines who lept into action to mitigate the violence done, especially usher Greg McKendry, 60, who gave his life when he stepped between bullets and helpless church-goers. I hear the other person who was fatally wounded, Linda Kreager, 61, was a visitor that day, there to see her grandchild perform in a version of the musical Annie.

Let our thoughts and prayers be with those families who have lost loved ones, and those who anxiously wait to know how their lives will be different after this senseless act. And, if you are so inclined, I invite you to join me in posting a word of encouragment on the blog set up by the UUA for the Tennessee Valley UU Church. I'm very appreciative of how our UUA President Bill Sinkford, members of the UUA Trauma Response Team and other representatives of our wider movement are speaking and acting out our values on the ground. My heart goes out as well to my colleague, Rev. Chris Buice. I can hardly imagine what he must be going through at this incredibly sad and painful time in the life of his congregation.

Here at the Transitional Minister Training at Boston University, my colleagues and I are remembering the people at TVUUC, and asking ourselves, Could it happen at my congregation? What would I do? Can I understand the motivation of someone to act out so viciously? Could I forgive? The questions are endless. I pray that the grief of those most effected by this heinous crime is not.

No comments: