Monday, July 28, 2008

Week 24 of 26: A Cabin in the Woods

This post is going to be brief: I am within an hour of leaving Easton Mountain in upstate New York on my way to Boston University for an Interim Ministry Training that starts this evening.

I moved into my cabin a week ago today. I really loved it ... for me it was the perfect marriage between being in the great outdoors and having the creature comforts that were essential. It rained almost all week long, and not just light sprinkles. Big buckets of torrential downpours. And it was magnificent to watch it, the flashes of lightning through the big windows in the night, the fireflies flashing here and there, the sound of the frogs on the pond, and the birds in the morning ... and often heard footfalls around the cabin, too loud and heavy to be a squirrel or chipmunk, unlikely to be another human ... rather than to be afraid with only a window screen separating me from the forest, I chose to think of them as the sound of my spirit guide or guardian, keeping watch for me in the night.

The young people seemed to have enjoyed themselves during Queer Spirit Camp. I mostly stayed at a distance, tending to the tasks that were mine regarding the functioning of the place. Monday night, I did have a chance to go into Troy with some of the other staff and volunteers, to a knitting/spinning circle that some of them belong to in Little Italy, that meets at a coffee shop called Flavours. A nice spot.

Okay, that's it for now ... next stop: Beantown.

No comments: